Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Healthy Additions

As you may have guessed by now, I believe in healthy eating. This means to eat organic fruits and vegetables, where available, and to eat local produce. I also believe in eating seeds and nuts. They contain lots of vitamins and minerals; some even assist in healing. Here are some things I add to bread or sandwiches to make them healthier :

1. Pumpkin Seeds. After brushing the bread or buns with egg wash, sprinkle shelled pumpkin seeds on top. Bake the bread at the usual temperature. The seeds come out roasted and fragrant. Somethings I pick them off the bread to eat on its own. They are really yummy.

2. Flaxseed. These are high in omega 3,6 and 9. They help in brain development and is good for general health. However, the nutrients are destroyed when heated so I usually add them in a sandwich. They need to be grinded into powder form because our body cannot digest the seeds when it is whole. Just sprinkle them generously in a sandwich. They don't have much taste so are not offensive at all.

3. Tahini. These are sesame paste and are used in salads and mediterrenean cooking. I use them as a spread for my sandwiches. I like the black ones because they are very fragrant.

4. Alfafa. I use them as a filling for my sandwich.

5. Olive oil. I like dipping my bread in extra virgin olive oil. They are slightly green in colour and taste great with bread.

6. Banana and other fruits. I like adding banana into my buns and bread. You can add any soft fruit that is in season. I sometimes use raisins. These are sweet and tasty, and is a good source of fibre. I may try jackfruit or durians next time.

7. Cinnamon. This helps to control blood sugar level and smells great in the bread.

8. Walnut. I use this instead of almonds because I prefer to eat almonds own its own. However, any type of nut will taste good when baked. They come out roasted.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home